When you’re just starting out, social media is vital.
You can connect with a large audience fairly quickly if you put the time and effort in, and its free. Lets face it, at the beginning you won’t have a large budget to invest, so save your money for where you need it and start building your audience for free.
First lets get one thing straight. You’re not looking for as many likes and followers as possible. You’re looking for likes and followers who are actually interested in what you sell. There is a big difference between the two, and having lots of people following you who have no interest in actually making a purchase will damage your reach, and fewer of your true audience will see your posts.
So how do you build your brand through social media?
- Choose the platform where your potential customers hang out the most. You only need to concentrate on 1 platform. Doing more than this simply isn’t realistic when you’re a one man band, it won’t leave you time to do anything else.
- Optimise your profile. You must have a business account no matter which platform you’re on – you will be punished for using a personal profile to sell. Have your link to your page / group / selling site on your personal profile, but that’s all. Also make sure you have your about section on your business profile filled out with the most important info on your about section or as a pinned post
- Make sure you post regularly about your business and your products. The 70/30 rule doesn’t mean not talking about your business at all for 70% of the time, it just means don’t be all buy now all the time. You can keep it relevant without being salesy. There’s nothing worse than clicking onto a page and not knowing what they do because it’s all cat memes
- Be social. Social platforms reward those who interact with others. Your posts will get seen more if you follow the rules and interact with others
- You can’t beat the algorithm, so ignore those who are trying to sell you tricks – they don’t work!
- Be you. People want authenticity, if they think you’re being fake they will move on.